Turkey Sloppy Joes
About this Recipe
.This is a family favorite at the Guza house.
Pretty easy to make and customize.
Eat it with or without the bread.
Pick it up and eat it with your hands or cut it with a knife and fork.
It’s a sloppy joe. Do whatever you want.
- 1 (19 1/2-oz.) package Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (15 1/2-oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) French bread loaf
- Parmesan cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
Make the Stuff
- Remove sausage from casing
- Cook the sausage guts in a Dutch Oven over medium heat, stirring often.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
- Add mushrooms and bell pepper
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in next 5 ingredients (sauce, garlic, tomato paste, onion flakes and pepper)
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for about20 minutes.
Toast the Bread
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise.
- Place bread, cut side up, on a baking sheet.
- Bake 5 to 6 minutes until toasted.
Glop the stuff on the toasted bread (or use the bread to scoop the stuff up) and serve with the mozzarella and Parmesan on top.